Monday, February 18, 2008

Elated Bliss?

In my previous employment, my employer used the acronym "RAVE." This was meant to be an a form of recognition on an internal website where any employee could recognize outstanding service by any other employee in the company. It was thus possible to "RAVE" a fellow employee if they did an outstanding job, or to be "RAVED" if you were lucky enough to not only be an overachieving employee, but to also have some other employee recognize your overachieverness, and then take the time to tell all the other employees about the awesomeness of your overavhieving state of being. I was never RAVED. I prefer to think the reason was because either no one had the wherwithall to follow through on any one of the numerous times they thought "That was totally RAVE worthy, I need to write about that moment" or because all my moments were RAVE worthy, and thus no one moment stood out from the rest to my fellow employees. Either way, I was RAVE-less.

The reason I bring this up is because at my current place of employment we were talking about employee recognition, and I told my fellow employees about RAVES. One mentioned the fact that a rave can also be a party, which according to wikipedia is a

"dance part[y] (often all-night events) where DJs and other performers play electronic dance music, which may also be referred to as 'rave music', with the accompaniment of laser light shows, projected images, and artificial fog. Popular rave dance styles include breakdancing, popping and locking, shuffling, glowsticking, liquid dancing, and poi."

The same employee also brought up the fact that the drug Ecstasy is also used a lot at raves. Upon hearing this, a second employee turned to me and asked if Ecstasy is still really popular and easily available. I'm not sure what it is about me that says "I know about the popularness and availability of pyscotheraputic drugs" but aparently I was the man most likely to have the answers. I had to inform my coworkers that I was not the party animal that I appear to be and had no knowledge of how easy or costly ecstacy is to find. I hope they weren't too disappointed in me. At least I don't have to worry anymore about not getting a RAVE.

1 comment:

  1. We had something like that at Prosper. It was called a CAN-DO award. All the Can-Do award recipients for each month were put in a drawing. The winner got the "Can-Do" parking spot for the month which really was just a handicapped spot where the sign had been knocked down. I, uh, never got that parking spot.

    ReplyDelete