Thursday, February 21, 2008

Everybody's happy.....

I've been on again/off again with my morning radio. When I was in high school I would listen to Radio from Hell religiously. It played in Salt Lake City on x96. The DJ's were irreverent and funny, and they played an awesome selection of alternative music. Whenever I go back to Salt Lake I try and catch their morning radio shows.

Since my arrival in Atlanta I have found a morning show to listen to on my way to work that is entertaining and fun to listen to: The Bert Show on Q100 (that really means 99.7 on the radio dial. I don't get it either). They do a few things I haven't heard done before and I like their format. Today's post is about something they are doing right now.

For as long as I have been listening to The Bert Show they have been talking about an event called "Bert's Big Adventure." For this event the radio station has picked 13 kids with chronic and life altering illnesses and has provided them with the ultimate VIP all expense paid trip for them and their families to Orlando so they can spend a few days in Disney World. I actually feel a bit more connected than I think I normally would because my company is providing the air transportation there and back for all the people involved in the event. I am very proud to be working for a company that is giving a little bit back to these kids and their families.

Driving into work this morning they were doing their send off radio show. They show was broadcast from a hotel lobby with all the family's there playing in the background and getting ready to head down to Orlando today. I was struck by how committed everyone is to this event, and the difference it makes in peoples lives. A statement that hit very close to home was about how going to Disney World outs these sick kids on equal footing with other kids their age who have also been there. It is a chance for them to feel "normal." For the last 15 years of my Dad's life, he battled a chronic disease. He did everything he could to maintain "normalcy" during this time, and he was always proud of himself when he was able to achieve those moments in his life. I could relate very easily to how the family's must feel about their sick children having the same opportunity and being able to forget their illnesses for a few days. Thinking about this I was actually getting a little emotional on my morning commute.

I was able check out the Send Off party a few hours later. The energy in the room was palpable. The kids were having a great time, and with the exception of a wheelchair here or there, you never would have been able to tell anything was wrong. Some of the kids had their faces painted, and others were talking to the Disney Characters that were at the party. There was no complaining, no crying, no negativity at all. Just joy, anticipation and excitement.

I hope all those kids have the time of their lives. I'm sure this weekend will be an amazing memory for all those involved. I'm also grateful that The Bert Show is giving back to the community in such a profound and meaningful way. Hopefully we will all have a chance in our lifetime to be part of something as special as this Adventure. Imagine how happy we would all be then.....

No comments:

Post a Comment