Thursday, March 27, 2008

Politics....

So I don't claim to know much about politics. In my office and amongst a majority of my old classmates, I would be near the bottom in terms of political knowledge. This year, either due to me making more of an effort, or just being surrounded by it, I have become a bit more aware of the various candidates and what they stand for and the current political story of the day. First, in the interest of full disclosure, let me say that I was born and raised in Utah and was there during the 2002 Olympics. That being said, I was never fully convinced Mitt Romney was the best man for the job. Not that I like any of the other candidates any better, but I after reading some of the comments Romney made, I just felt a bit uneasy with the idea of fully supporting him.

That said, one of the things I have found most interesting was the amount of coverage Romney's religion received. That point was made even clearer in the past few weeks with the "scandal" involving Obama's Pastor. Obama's church, the Trinity United Church of Christ, has some interesting statements on their web page, yet I have yet to see Obama be asked to define his religion and what role it will play in his Presidency.  I have always thought that the differences in what was in the media was due to bias in the media.  I think I am wrong.

I hate to apply stereotypes, but it is the only way I can explain this difference in my mind.  Mitt Romney positioned himself as the King of the Conservatives. The portion of the vote he was trying to win is typically a very religious segment of the population, and their religious views are very influential in what they consider to be politically correct. Whereas Obama is King of the Liberals, and is trying to win the votes of a segment of the population to whom religion almost never defines their political views.  I now believe that the Media wasn't biased, but they were reporting the aspects of the Candidates candidacy that were important to there respective political bases

I don't know if this is truly the case or not, but it allows me to believe the media is still objective and is not trying to exert undue influence based on the implied trust the receive from the American public.

No comments:

Post a Comment